It’s not a question of how much does a web designer earns in Nigeria but rather it’s a question of how does a web designer makes money in Nigeria.
Many people do ask me how much does a web designer make in Nigeria and my answer is always two things;
- Are you referring to how much a freelance web designer or a salaried web designer earns?
- or Is it earning per month or earning per website designed?
These are the answers I always give, but they are not really an answer rather another question.
And I believe that this is what a web designer should first think about even before asking about how much a web designer makes.
For the sake of this article, let me quickly show you how much a web designer makes in Nigeria and what type of web designer earn the most money.
HOW MUCH DOES A WEB DESIGNER EARN IN NIGERIA
1. How Much Does a Salaried Web Designer Earn in Nigeria.
2. How Much Does a Freelance Web Designer Earn in Nigeria.
3. Which Web Designer Earn the Most Money in Nigeria.
1. HOW MUCH DOES A SALARIED WEB DESIGNER EARN IN NIGERIA.
According to salaryexplorer.com a person working as a salaried Web Designer in Nigeria typically earns around 279,000 NGN per month. Salaries range from 142,000 NGN (lowest) to 429,000 NGN (highest).
As stated on Salary Explorer, the average monthly salary includes housing, transport, and other benefits.
Salaried Web Designer salaries vary drastically based on experience, skills, gender, or location.
Salary explorer furthered that, the median salary is 273,000 NGN per month, which means that half (50%) of people working as salaried Web Designer(s) are earning less than 273,000 NGN while the other half are earning more than 273,000 NGN.
The median represents the middle salary value. Generally speaking, you would want to be on the right side of the graph with the group earning more than the median salary.
Now, that’s the problem with salaried web designers, you need to have a lot of experience before you start earning more than 273,000 NGN.
Though that amount is a huge one but what you can make in a month already has a ceiling.
Don’t get me wrong here I’m not saying that being a salaried web designer isn’t a good career option, I’m just saying if what you desire is freedom and lots of money being a salaried web designer isn’t quite an awesome option to go for.
But if what you desire is working in a serene working space and collaborating with other web designers, be my guest, go for it, be a salaried web designer.
Although you can be a salaried web designer and still work as a freelancer on the side so that you can increase your earning but that may stress you out and even make you unfocused!
HOW DOES A SALARIED WEB DESIGNER MAKE MONEY IN NIGERIA?
Like the name sounds “salaried web designer”, a salaried web designer design, develop and manage website under another web design agency for their clients.
A salaried web designer makes money every month as far as he/she keeps designing and developing wonderful websites for his/her employer.
PROS OF BEING A SALARIED WEB DESIGNER
- You don’t need to find your own clients your employer does the client-finding
- You have a stable monthly income
- You enjoy free training
- You enjoy the use of free working space
- You learn to collaborate and work with many other web designers
CONS OF BEING A SALARIED WEB DESIGNER
- Your earning is caped
- You get paid monthly and not by website designed or developed
- You don’t have too much freedom
2. HOW MUCH DOES A FREELANCE WEB DESIGNER EARN IN NIGERIA.
Unlike a salaried web designer a freelance web designer does not have a particular amount that he/she earns per month.
It can be 80k today and 120k tomorrow and 650k next week…It all depends on the designer.
Freelance web designers have the ability to make millions in a month if things go right.
Imagine this, you charge 150k for small business websites and you work hard to get just 3 clients in a month, you know what, you just surpassed the maximum amount a salaried web designer makes in a month – 429k.
Now, if you raise the number of clients you work with to 5, it means you will be making a whooping 750k per month.
You can still increase your price and even charge your clients on a monthly recurrent payment. That’s why I love freelancing; it gives you freedom and choices.
HOW DOES A FREELANCE WEB DESIGNER MAKE MONEY IN NIGERIA?
A freelance web designer makes money majorly by building website for businesses and individuals without being under any agency or employer.
Freelance web designers can make money in different ways ranging from; Affiliate marketing to starting a blog and even selling digital products.
PROS OF BEING A FREELANCE WEB DESIGNER
- Your earning is infinite
- You earn from every website you design or develop
- You have a lot of freedom
- You’re your own boss
- You can expand into a business
- You work only when you feel like working
- As you go you learn different skills to run your own business which is a gain for you
CONS OF BEING A FREELANCE WEB DESIGNER
- You do the entire management and client-finding activities by yourself
- Your income may not be stable
- If not careful you may suffer burn out and depression
- Staying accountable may be difficult since there is no boss to supervise you
3. WHICH WEB DESIGNER EARN THE MOST MONEY IN NIGERIA
So which of those two web designers really makes the most money? Of course it’s a freelance web designer.
But which type of designer is the best?
I can’t really say, but it all depends on you. It depends on how much you want to make every month, and how you prioritize freedom.
For me, I love freelancing and enjoy every single part of being a freelance web designer. I also have friends that work as salaried web designers that enjoys working in an office for a company and still makes cool money.
But like I said it all depends on your preference, you can go through the pros and cons of each of them again and look at the one that really goes well with you.
Be it salaried or freelance web designers, web designers make good money.
So if what made you search for the term “How much does a web designer earn in Nigeria” is to verify how profitable the web design profession is, I think this article has fed an answer to your curiosity.
Kick start your freelancing web design career the right way and increase your earnings faster and more easily than ever before.